Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 5 – Have you ever met a famous person? Who was it?

I always struggle with this question.  What, exactly, constitutes famous?  Famous, as in, President Barack Obama, someone that 99.9% of America and a large percentage of the rest of the known world, is familiar with?  Famous, as in, Matthew Stafford, former UGA quarterback and current NFL quarterback?  Famous, as in, Warren Buffet?

There are so many factors that decide fame.

That said, here is a list of people I've met that I consider, atleast in my little world, famous:

Dale Murphy
Russ Nixon
Claude Raymond
Herb Score
Phil Niekro
Luke Recker
Dean Oliver
Vince Dooley
Mark Fox
Mark Richt (OK, I haven't met him yet, but I will, on April 19!)
Jair Jurrjens
Boss Bailey
the Wilkinsons
Wynton Marsalis (twice!!! He even gave me a trumpet lesson!!!)

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, virtually every single person in the list above is in the sports world.  The MLB, NFL, NBA, NCAA football, NCAA basketball - they all played, managed, and/or coached.  The others listed are musicians, in the country genre and jazz genre.

I'm sure there are others I've met, whether they'd already reached a modicum of fame, or they were on their way up the ladder rungs.  But when I think of famous, it's the list above that I think of.  These are the people that were important in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment