Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 2 – Do you have any pets? If yes, what kinds, and what are their names? If not, why don’t you have any pets?

In my mind, I have a dog.  A lab/German shepherd mix.  He looks like a shepherd, with the temperment of the lab.  His name is Gus Gus.  I love dogs.  One day, I will have a Gus Gus.

I don't like cats.

I have 4 cats.
Gracie is my old girl.  She will be 16 in April, and I've had her since the day she was born.  She is a sweet-natured calico who loves attention, and loves to cuddle at night.  Because of my crazy schedule (and her advancing age), she lives next door with my brother's family, where there is someone home virtually 24/7/365.

At 5, Tiger Lily is the indoor baby.  She showed up on my back deck in November 2006, a tiny, silky, solid white ball of fur, staring up out of crystal blue eyes.  It took me about 2 weeks to get her to let me touch her, but once she figured out that all I wanted to do was pet her, she warmed right up.  I brought her into house one night when the temps dropped into the teens, and blocked her up in my bathroom.  The little brat figured out how to move all the towels and blankets shoved under the doors, and I woke in the middle of the night to the kitten meowing at me from the floor beside my bed.  Thinking someone had accidentally let her out, I put her back in the bathroom.  She was back in my room 5 minutes later.  She has been inside ever since, and though she is now full-grown and weighing in at 11lbs, she still believes she is a kitten.  Her entire life revolves around playtime and attention.  She still sleeps on the floor beside my bed.

The outdoor baby is Fluffies.  He's a gray tabby stray kitten that lives in my backyard.  I didn't have any intention on keeping him, but he really is a sweetie.  All the outdoor strays are called "Fluffies" by me, so I guess he needs a name, since he's about to get neutered and made a permanent member of the family.  He shall, from here on forward, by known as Flynn (as in, Rider).

The love of my life, despite the fact that she is a cat, is Mocha.  Mocha was born in May 2005.  I met her the day I brought her home from the vet's office.  Carol and Kyle adopted a little brown kitten from the vet in July 2005, and I just thought that little kitten was the cutest thing!  All tiny and fuzzy and the color of a Hershey bar.  While at the office, the vet tech informed us that she was fostering the rest of the litter, and that there was one other kitten with the same coloring, a little girl.  Sight unseen, I adopted her.  Almost 2 weeks later, we picked up our new kittens.  I held the carrier all the way home, but it wasn't until we got inside the house that I was able to coax my little girl out and get a look at her.  I usually only tolerate cats, but from day one, I was totally in love with my Mocha.  She is my Baby Girl, and she knows it.  Mocha is independent, easily disturbed, ornery, and firmly believes that every other cat needs to be on another planet.  She is often anti-social, which makes the times that she wants to cuddle even more special.  For all her quirks, though, Mocha is one of the sweetest cats I've ever met.

No comments:

Post a Comment