Saturday, January 21, 2012

Day 3 – Do you like to cook? What’s your favorite food? Are you good at cooking?

I like to bake and I like to grill.  Otherwise, I cook because I have to.

My favorite thing to fix is Vernon's Special Chicken.  It's a secret recipe (unless you know who to bribe), and takes a while to fix, but MAN, it's worth it!!  Best served with the chicken is mashed potatoes or potato salad, green beans (another secret, special recipe), and good, Southern sweet tea.

I can grill just about anything that'll fit on my grill, but I rule at chicken, burgers and dogs.  I've done fish and other seafood, and I've done kabobs, but I'm better at the heartier, more durable meats.  I have yet to try ribs.

I also rule at chili.  I made my own recipe for chili, and over the years, have tweaked and perfected said recipe.  It's amazing chili!

I'm not a bad cook, but I burn water.  I tend to get sidetracked with other things while cooking, so it's best not to have me do something that can't be set to a timer.  And aside from my chili, I have to have a recipe, and I have to follow the recipe TO. THE. LETTER.  I cannot deviate, or I get panicky.  And if the recipe says to eyeball something, or add until a certain texture is reached, forget it!  I need precise measurements, even if it's something I've made many times before (even my chili is based on can sizes - no preopened-and-saved-in-the-refrigerator items allowed).

No comments:

Post a Comment