Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 14 – Would you want to be famous? Why or why not?

Once again, I have to ask: What, exactly, constitutes famous?

I have never wanted to be an actress, someone known worldwide for my looks or for the people I've dated (or even for the movie/television roles I've played, since that is what some actresses are known for).  I've never dreamed of being a professional athlete, not because I wouldn't enjoy it, but simply because there was never a doubt in my mind that I didn't have what it takes to be a professional basketball player.  I have absolutely NO interest in politics.  I love to write, but I don't ever remember entertaining the thought that I might one day write novels known around the world.

But once upon a time, I harbored the dream of being a professional musician.  Not Bono or Springsteen, not Carrie Underwood or Miranda Lambert, not Rob Thomas or Santana.  No, I dreamed of being the next Wynton Marsalis.  The next Chris Botti.

I never wanted to be someone that was immediately recognized by face or name, anywhere in the world.  But to be recognized by the masters of the brass instruments, in the small world of brass virtuosos??

That, my friends, would have been the perfect completion to my musical experience.  I still dream when I play my horn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment