Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dental Chairs are Comfortable!

I am the poster child for how NOT to take care of your teeth.  Oh, I brush them, but that's about it.  I floss...occasionally.  I haven't been to the dentist since the checkup with the oral surgeon after having my wisdom teeth removed.  I had the teeth removed in late December 1994, so I probably had the checkup in January 1995.  After the horrific experience I had during that surgery (I woke up while they were drilling and cutting), I refused to go back to a dentist.

However, recently, I had a tooth started showing symptoms of a cavity.  As in, it started breaking.  Still, it's taken me several months to work up the courage to make an appointment with a dentist.  I asked around for recommendations, did LOTS of research, and otherwise attempted to psych myself out, but finally, last week, I called a local dentist and made an appointment for a checkup.

Yesterday, I visited the dentist for the first time in 16 years.

Did you know that they do instant digital x-rays now?  It's incredible!  The assistant took the first picture, and I was amazed!  I said something about technology coming so far, the last time I had x-rays, you had to bite on the cardboard film holder, and then you had to wait until the film was developed before knowing what was going on in your mouth.  The technician laughed, but I think it was more of a "oh, you poor child, we're going to get SOO much money out of you!" laugh.

Did you know that there's this really awkward machine that spins around your head, and takes full x-rays of your jaw?  I had no idea my jaw looked like that.  I also had no idea that the roots of my teeth were that long!

The things you learn when you actually go to the dentist.

Another thing I learned yesterday is that, despite a sixteen year gap in dental visits, my teeth and gums are mighty healthy!  No gum disease, no bone disease, no major worries about the crowding of my teeth (though he did give me a recommendation for an orthodontist who specializes in Invisaligns, if I were ever interested), very little tartar and plaque buildup on my teeth, and only ONE cavity! Once that one is filled (next Tuesday), that will make a total of TWO fillings in my mouth.  Yeah, I swear I've had more cavities filled, but if I did, they were baby teeth.  Dr. Hall said I only have one filling currently in my mouth, plus a couple of sealants.

Note to self:  if you ever have children, have sealants done!

The only question I'm left with is: Why did the gums around the tooth with the cavity not hurt before, but now that I know they're going to have to trim the gum where it's growing into the cavity, has it decided to start aching?  Is it psychosomatic?

No comments:

Post a Comment