Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 20 of 30 - Nicknames

My parents had three possibilities in mind when they were trying to decide on a name for me:
Laura Charlotte
Laura Nicole
Laura Diane

They chose the one that had no obvious nickname - Laura Diane.

Growing up, I always wanted a nickname.  Daddy called me Daura Liane, but that wouldn't have worked at school and with my friends.  Leonard called me George.  In high school, Hot Rod sometimes called me Larry.  One day, when discussing nicknames, Mikey decided that he would nickname me George.  How two people came to call me George, I'll never know.  When I worked in daycare, the kids usually called me La-La (Teletubbies was extremely popular at that time).  The Bug called me Lo, then Toe, now it's Dawa.  Not really nicknames, just the pronunciations of a child, but I was so hoping Lo would stick.

The nickname I use online is Eldabee.  My "big brother", David R., was always amused at the fact that I signed everything with my initials (LDB).  One day, his girlfriend started running the letters together, and calling me Eldabee.  It stuck.  For quite awhile, the two of them actually called me that.  Since then, it's gravitated to mostly an online identity.

I've come to like and appreciate my name.  I think, after all these years, that I prefer not having a nickname.

No comments:

Post a Comment