Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 16 of 30 - Dream House

If I could have any house in the world, I would have three houses.  There are three distinct styles that I absolutely love, and I see no way to combine them into one house (without making it outrageously ugly).

I have always wanted a house with multiple levels, with a deck on each level, the whole thing overlooking the ocean, and atleast one floor having a widow's walk.  As much as I love the beach, I've never wanted the house to be on the beach.  I've always dreamed of it being on a cliff overlooking the pounding waves, in an area like Big Sur (California), and having to walk a trail down to the beach.

However, 5 years ago, I went to Hatteras Island, and found Hatteras Harbor House.


Hatteras Harbor House, April 2007 family trip

Hatteras Harbor House is on the south end of Hatteras Island, at the end of the jetty, just past the docks where you catch the ferry to Ocracoke Island.

An old farmhouse has also been a dream of mine for many years.  Old, rambling, spacious, on lots of land in the middle of nowhere.  White with barn red trim, or yellow with white trim and a red barn roof.  I like both color schemes, and both look great on old farmhouses.  The latter is perfectly displayed on the buildings and house of Rolling M Ranch in Tignall, GA.  I will have to drive out and get some good pictures.  The ranch is gorgeous!

But, on the chance that I can have neither the shoreside house or the farmhouse, I will take a simple set of rooms on stilts, over the water.  Like this one, in Bora Bora.


The St. Regis Resort, Bora Bora

No comments:

Post a Comment