Friday, March 16, 2012

Follow Friday - Thriftstorehoppin

A popular occurrence on Twitter is what we call Follow Friday.  Or #follow #friday.  Or #ff.  It's a specific day when Tweeters suggest to the Twitter world some profiles they believe we should follow.  It really is neat, especially when you're new to Twitter, and several people give you a #ff shout out.  It can get you followers.  It can give you people to follow.
I want to start doing my own version of the #ff right here on this blog.

If you follow any of my blogs, you've probably discovered that I am completely in love with a little boy named Bug.  Well, Bug actually has a family, even though they don't get talked about as much - a little brother named Peanut, a mom (Bug's mama), a dad (Bug's daddy), and a dog named Tessa (or, in early Bug-speak, "good girl").  I truly love the entire family.  Bug's daddy is my cousin.  We've known each of each other since he was a small child, but have only really known each other since early 2003.  We quickly became very close friends, and for several years, I spent as much time with him and his family as I did with my own (we only live an hour or so apart).  In 2005, he rocked my world by expressing interest in - gasp! - a girl.

I know.  Rude.

I tried really hard not to like her (ok, I really didn't try that hard).  But I could see that she was around for the duration, so I slowly...slowly......slowly.....got to know her.  They got married the next year.  For the first year(ish), I visited other cousins in the area, but never specifically visit the newly married couple.  In fact, I never saw their first apartment.  I admit, I was having trouble adjusting to the new dynamic in my relationship with them.  And then, one day, a Bug was born.  And my cousins became Bug's mama and Bug's daddy.

I met Bug when he was just 9 days old, and knew my life would never be the same.  I visited again several months later, and again a few months after that.  And then, suddenly, I was seeing them every month or so.  As I fell more in love with my boy, I discovered that I'd never really gotten to know Bug's mama.  What a waste of the past 2+ years!!

As the next 2 years went by, I began spending as much (or more) time with Bug and Bug's mama than I did with Bug's daddy (not intentionally, but we no longer based my visits strictly on his work schedule).  And Bug's mama became one of my best friends, and probably the one person that I am the closest to in this world (outside of my own mama).

The relationship was cemented that winter day when Peanut came into the world. 

In the 14 months that Peanut has been on this earth, I have visited them 13 times.  Bug now knows (and calls me by) my name.  On my last visit, just two short weeks ago, Peanut was trying to say my name.  When I visit, the boys know that we WILL watch Disney movies.  We WILL wrestle and tickle.  We WILL go out to eat somewhere.  Cameras WILL come out, and pictures of anything and everything will be taken.  And maybe the best part of all (well, maybe not better than the Disney movies, but close enough), thrift stores WILL be visited.

I come from a thrifty family.  The women in my family LOVE shopping at thrift stores.  I have never liked them.  I don't know why, b/c someone one else can shop at a thrift store for me, and I'm fine with it.  But I just can't shop there myself.  However, in friendship, I tag along when visitiing Bug and his family.  And over the weeks and months, I've discovered that I really like thrift stores.

In the past few visits, I've gotten several books (for pennies), unopened wallpaper border (enough rolls to decorate a bathroom, once I get my new house - for a few quarters), an argyle sweater vest ($3 - AND it's argyle!), and along with my own finds, I've helped in finding toys and argyle sweater vests for Bug and Peanut.

FYI, I love argyle sweater vests almost as much as I love Bug and Peanut.

And now, I'm sure you're asking, "She started out talking about Follow Friday, and went off on a tangent about the kid - he's cute, and all, but what does he have to do with Follow Friday?"  Well, you see, as I've just explained, Bug's mama is the one that introduced me - REALLY introduced me - to thrift stores.  She finds all kinds of treasures when she shops, and she comes up with all these great ideas just by looking at something on one of the store shelves.

And best of all, she has now started blogging about her thrift store adventures.
So, do yourself a favor.  Check out Thrift Store Hoppin', and tell her I said, "Hi, Bug!"  She'll laugh, and know exactly who sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment